Mini r58 brake 00335d brake vacuum sensor

Hi all 

i have a brake issue which i just cant fix. 

recently ( 4 weeks ) I’ve had a start stop issue when i start my car , it comes up automatic stop/start failure 

I’ve got a Carly and when reading the car i have the error “ 00335d - brake vacuum sensor , electric circuit to ground “

when i unplug the sensor i also get “00335c - brake vacuum sensor , electric circuit to positive 

now i have tested the wiring , i have .5v from two of the three points and the other ( ground ) is fully grounding from the battery so the wiring seems to be fine 

i have tested the vacuum pipe to 25 hg  and it didnt lose pressure for 7 mins and from the vacuum pump on the side of the engine and the went off the gauge ( over 30 hg ) so the pipe and pump are fine.

i have changed the sensor ( twice as i thought the first one could also be faulty ) which didn’t solve it so now I’m stuck , anyone got any ideas of what it could be ? ( the sensor changed is plugged into the servo/master cylinder  under the vacuum pipe )

I have checked the pedal for pressure with multiple checked and its fine , and the brakes are working fine , if it wasn’t for the warning you would never know there’s an issue.

is there a second sensor I don’t know about ? Is there something I’ve missed ?

any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys in advance 

E4732E06-E633-4C77-94E1-18063EEDB8F6.jpeg

B8B4C2EC-FC1F-4276-BCF4-867CD713E785.jpeg

85C3C847-6E92-4218-99A0-4F82D2194FB5.jpeg

• Super Moderator

I’m affraid I can’t be much help on this one,

This may seem silly but you have cleared the codes between fitting the new sensor ? 
www.realism.com might help you look at different parts using the exploded diagrams. 

4 minutes ago, Kettlepot said:

I’m affraid I can’t be much help on this one,

This may seem silly but you have cleared the codes between fitting the new sensor ? 
www.realism.com might help you look at different parts using the exploded diagrams. 

Thanks for the response 

yes I’ve clear it down a few times and it hasn’t resolved it 

I’ll have a look at the site 

thanks 

• Super Moderator

I have just read that there could be a couple of tests as it may not be a faulty sensor,

If you start the engine and it idle, then press the pedal as far as it will go for 30 second, if it slowly drops then there could be a master/slave cylinder issue.

Or

if pedal goes hard then vac fault maybe the pressure relief valve control valve under the inlet manifold, or cracked leaking pipe common place is where the vac pipe enters the brake servo where the sensor lives

or

if the idle changes then it could be the servo leaking

7 minutes ago, Kettlepot said:

I have just read that there could be a couple of tests as it may not be a faulty sensor,

If you start the engine and it idle, then press the pedal as far as it will go for 30 second, if it slowly drops then there could be a master/slave cylinder issue.

Or

if pedal goes hard then vac fault maybe the pressure relief valve control valve under the inlet manifold, or cracked leaking pipe common place is where the vac pipe enters the brake servo where the sensor lives

or

if the idle changes then it could be the servo leaking

I’ve done these tests and it was all fine 

I'm going out on a whim here, but looking at the code descriptions I'd guess the problem lies within the wiring feeding the sensor.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to do this, but have you hand traced all of the concerned wiring to ensure that the cores have good insulation and are fully isolated from each other and any metal work (ground) of the car? 

You might also want to test the continuity between all three cores that are feeding the sensor to ensure there is no short circuit there. 

That's completely speculative as I'm not familiar with the sensor or how it is wired up but that's where I'd start looking 

12 hours ago, LewisE said:

I'm going out on a whim here, but looking at the code descriptions I'd guess the problem lies within the wiring feeding the sensor.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to do this, but have you hand traced all of the concerned wiring to ensure that the cores have good insulation and are fully isolated from each other and any metal work (ground) of the car? 

You might also want to test the continuity between all three cores that are feeding the sensor to ensure there is no short circuit there. 

That's completely speculative as I'm not familiar with the sensor or how it is wired up but that's where I'd start looking 

Hi LewisE 

I’ve already tested the wiring and got .5v from the 2 feeds and a solid ground so its not wiring , I’m starting to think i have a very small leak on the servo , its the only thing i think that will answer the issue but I’m going to check the sensor plugged in at the weekend and make sure its working correctly and recheck everything I’ve already done , if I don’t find a problem it will have to be a new servo 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

i just wanted to check in , i finally found the problem , after doing all the suggested things here and re-doing them i tried a genuine sensor from bmw/mini and it solve it straight away , so it was cheap parts in the end 

thanks for your time and help :)