Kai2k

Anyone use wheel spacers?

Hello guys,

I've been reading about wheel spacers. They seem like a good way to further improve the car's cornering ability, and make it look a little better. Has anyone used them? If so, I'd appreciate people's thoughts on them. I'm running stock suspension, bar Eibach springs. I don't want it to rub, but it would be nice to widen the stance. I've no idea what mm to choose, and at over £100, with the new longer bolts I can't really be trying different ones; need to get it right first time. 

Thanks. 

Kai. 

I use them, I wasn’t sure I needed them at first but didn’t want to fit the coilovers for them to rub etc. 
I went for 10 MM hubcentric. They do rub a little as I have no camber correction on the rear and the front is at -1.5 degrees (I think) 

Personally I wouldn’t go for more than 10mm but it all depends how much weight you will carry in the rear for how far the rear wheel will need to into the arch.

you will struggle to find a spacer between 5-10mm due to the size of the lip on the hub, you need to have enough lip to support the wheel.

also a thing to consider, with a wider stance the tyres throw more rubbish out of the arch which a good portion of it will be thrown along the side skirts, door and rear quarter (as it flares for the wheel arch)

A good way to check clearances would be to remove the rear strut and lift the wheel into the arch and measure from the wheel to the arch, this Will give you a good indication of room but you’ll not know how far the suspension will travel until you get it loaded and on the road

On 26/06/2020 at 12:08, Kettlepot said:

I use them, I wasn’t sure I needed them at first but didn’t want to fit the coilovers for them to rub etc. 
I went for 10 MM hubcentric. They do rub a little as I have no camber correction on the rear and the front is at -1.5 degrees (I think) 

Personally I wouldn’t go for more than 10mm but it all depends how much weight you will carry in the rear for how far the rear wheel will need to into the arch.

you will struggle to find a spacer between 5-10mm due to the size of the lip on the hub, you need to have enough lip to support the wheel.

also a thing to consider, with a wider stance the tyres throw more rubbish out of the arch which a good portion of it will be thrown along the side skirts, door and rear quarter (as it flares for the wheel arch)

@Kettlepot thanks for this, that is really helpful. From what I read, people seem to use spacers more when they have coil overs, which I don’t. To be honest now you’ve mentioned the point about the dirt, that’s swung it for me. I like my car mint and this would probably lead to more stone chips. The car handles well as-is so I think I’ll leave it. I’m quite worried about rubbing. Also when I washed it last night I looked at the stance (never really paid much attention before) and the wheels aren’t set in that that much anyway. Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. 

I’m not aware of any oem mud flats that fit the jcw kit so keeping the tyres/wheels tucked is a good solution. I would think that 20mm wider stance isn’t going to be noticed on the British roads but does reduce the appearance of arch gap.

I’ve noticed more more of an appearance change on the rear so that might be a consideration for you. 

Once this COVID 5h1t is over, you are welcome to try my spacers on yours to see how they look and possibly revisit it then.

31 minutes ago, Kettlepot said:

I’m not aware of any oem mud flats that fit the jcw kit so keeping the tyres/wheels tucked is a good solution. I would think that 20mm wider stance isn’t going to be noticed on the British roads but does reduce the appearance of arch gap.

I’ve noticed more more of an appearance change on the rear so that might be a consideration for you. 

Once this COVID 5h1t is over, you are welcome to try my spacers on yours to see how they look and possibly revisit it then.

Thanks @Kettlepot I might just do that.