Kai2k

N18 replace fuel filter?

Hi All. Whilst looking through my service schedule with regards my coolant I noticed a symbol for fuel filter change in the service book which got me thinking. From doing some research it seems BMW believe this is a lifetime item on a petrol engine. What are people’s thoughts? Do people change them? Seems cheaper than replacing a fuel pump. 
thanks. 

Depends how many miles BMW class as a lifetime, some will live longer than others.

I’ve heard some cars (can’t remember which marques) can have issues if you try and replace the filter because you introduce air into the systems and people struggle getting all of the air out. 
I’m not saying it’s necessarily  a MINI thing, I can’t remember which cars I heard have this issue.

On the newer ones at work we never do fuel filters on petrol but it’s with a major service on a diesel. I’m not sure about the older ones, however I’ve done major services on R series countryman’s etc and it’s only ever spark plugs... never done a filter 😕

Just thought I’d update this one. I went to my trusted garage and they contacted BMW who promptly advised that no such kit is available. The garage advised that they would not recommend fitting non genuine parts into such a nice car 😊 I’m going to take everyone’s advice and leave well alone. Thanks for your help guys. 

I guess, if it ain’t broke ..........

On 09/05/2020 at 18:43, Kettlepot said:

Depends how many miles BMW class as a lifetime, some will live longer than others.

I’ve heard some cars (can’t remember which marques) can have issues if you try and replace the filter because you introduce air into the systems and people struggle getting all of the air out. 
I’m not saying it’s necessarily  a MINI thing, I can’t remember which cars I heard have this issue.

And this is entirely true, and explains why i have issues starting my car ever since i had mine replaced.

Unless the car has fuel issues in the first please then i would leave well alone for N14/N18s anyway.