Kai2k

Tips on installing a belt line kit.

Hi all. I recently installed a belt line kit and learnt a couple of things which may help others. 
1 - the kits from SMPS2012 are great quality. I messed up one panel and there was plenty left to re-do it. 
2 - clean the belt line first with alcohol. 
3 - temperature - if it’s not over 10 degrees, warm the chrome up with a hairdryer first. 
4 - do not apply heat to the vinyl while you are applying it. It will stretch and thus become too narrow. 
5 - start with easy panels like the short A panel section then the door. 
6 - after fitting, warm with a hairdryer and push out the bubbles.

7 - use a sharp Stanley knife to trim the ends. Cut about 1mm longer than you think you need. If you cut it exact, you’ll probably see a tiny bit of chrome. 
8 - on the curves as you apply the vinyl you’ll get bubbles. Don’t panic - push them out using a hair dryer. 
9 - on each panel do say 5 cm then check that your height is correct. On some panels you line up the top of the vinyl exactly with the joint between the chrome and top rubber. On other panels the entire chrome trim is a slightly different height. As such to ensure the bottom of the vinyl wouldn’t encroach beyond the belt line I had to line the top of the vinyl slightly above the chrome. 
10 - the vinyl is pretty forgiving. You can pull it off a couple of times and you can get away with it. 
11 - apply a little at a time and continually check the height and straightness. 
12 - make sure all water is out of the belt line first. My rear one seemed to hold a little trapped water for a day after washing. 

Hope this helps someone. 
Thanks.

Kai. 

Edited by Kai2k
Typo

Nice one Kai

That'll help a few people I'm sure! Some useful tips for me to bare in mind when I come to do mine