Kai2k

Which brake fluid?

Hi all. I’m looking to do a brake fluid flush. My handbook simply says use DOT4. Has anyone used DOT5? I’ve read this may not play with ABS systems nicely but I’d like to use DOT5 if poss. Failing this is any DOT4 suitable or do people recommend a brand?

thanks. 

I have no experience with more current types or MINIs, sorry.

But personally,  I would go with the handbook as it used to be the case that there types had different ingredients and this use to play havoc with seals (getting past them and dissolving them etc.)

@Kettlepot thanks for the reply. Yes good old dot 4 is my default option, but further reading suggests it’s only dot 5 that should be avoided as opposed to 5.1, given it is silicone based. Dot 5.1 appears to comprise of silicone free ingredient similar to the others. I’ll keep researching but if I’ve any doubt I’ll go dot 4 from a reputable brand. 

Would you notice the difference In the feel ? 
or is it other factors such the heat it can withstand before it boils etc

For what it’s worth I went DOT4. I didn’t feel DOT5 was worth it. Your right on the different DOT5s, you have to be really careful you don’t pick up the wrong one. 

ive got 2 bottles of MOTUL DOT4 that I’ll do at a good price for you that I’ve spare from my recent brake bleed 😃

2 hours ago, Kettlepot said:

Would you notice the difference In the feel ? 
or is it other factors such the heat it can withstand before it boils etc

It’s just to potentially make it less likely to boil on the very odd occasion I drive it quickly. 

1 hour ago, Mr Watton said:

For what it’s worth I went DOT4. I didn’t feel DOT5 was worth it. Your right on the different DOT5s, you have to be really careful you don’t pick up the wrong one. 

ive got 2 bottles of MOTUL DOT4 that I’ll do at a good price for you that I’ve spare from my recent brake bleed 😃

Thanks Simon. Please keep that offer open and I’ll let you know soon. What is the capacity out of interest for a full bleed?  Luckily I have access to a pressure bleed machine 👍

20 hours ago, Kai2k said:

Thanks Simon. Please keep that offer open and I’ll let you know soon. What is the capacity out of interest for a full bleed?  Luckily I have access to a pressure bleed machine 👍

Hey Simon. Out of interest is the fluid you have rbf 600? 

11 hours ago, Kai2k said:

@Mr Watton also how many litres do you have please as I’m interested. Thanks. 

hey, so I’ve 2 litres, 1 litre per bottle. They are also unopened l and Comma, not MOTUL as previously mentioned 😃 Sorry about delay in info, dealing with the man flu 🤧 

6757862D-7111-495C-8582-7B488E06FA64.jpeg

@Mr Watton thanks for this. I’ve actually decided, after much research to go for RBF 660. Being DOT 4 it meets the recommendation of MINI but it’s wet and dry boiling points actually exceed DOT 5.1. For what I need it seems the perfect product and comes highly regarded. The only thing not so good is the price ! I’ll report back once the brakes are done to let you know the verdict. Thanks for the advice everyone. 

That’s cool, let me know how you get on with it. How much actually was it and is it still a 2 year recommenced replacement interval? 

2 hours ago, Mr Watton said:

That’s cool, let me know how you get on with it. How much actually was it and is it still a 2 year recommenced replacement interval? 

@Mr Watton I got 2 litres for £53 in the end so pricey! I do see brakes as a good investment however. I believe 2 years is the recommended interval unless of course one is tracking. I’ve read the more times the fluid is heated, the more moisture it absorbs, which ultimately reduces braking performance. I’ll keep you posted. 

Hi all. I just thought I would post a quick update. Yesterday I did a full brake job - discs pads and fluid.  To recap I have fitted EBC dimpled and grooved discs all round along with EBC green stuff pads. I’ve replaced the fluid with MOTUL RBF 660 DOT 4 fluid. 

I’ve driven about 20 miles since fitting but already the brakes feel much better. They just require much less effort to stop the car and feel much more ‘bitey’ even at slow speeds. 

What I learnt whilst doing the work:

Check your nipples first (lol) - my front 2 could really do with changing and will be done next time. 
If your pads warning has shown on the dash you need one or both pads sensors replacing. Buy these at the start. I naively thought I could just reset the computer. 
Buy or borrow a pressure bleeder. Wow. I’ve never known bleeding brakes to be so easy! 
I’ll post back an update on the brakes performance once I’ve ran them in. Unfortunately given the state of them prior to the work I’m unable to determine if the fluid change or discs & pads change made the main improvement. Now I know how easy it is with a pressure bleeder it seems like there is no reason to not replace the fluid anyway when doing the discs and pads. 
Thanks for all of the help and advice. 

Glad you got it sorted, great write up 👍🏻

3 hours ago, Kettlepot said:

Glad you got it sorted, great write up 👍🏻

Thanks @Kettlepot - appreciate the help I've had. I guess I'll get a better feel for the brakes on the run out on Sunday. Hopefully it may help someone in the future decide between my set up or paying the extra for Brembo. 

Little update to this one. 
I’ve replaced the pad wear sensor today. It was the front one for me. The old one looked fine but the reset option was unavailable in the cars menu for the worn brake pads warning. Upon fitting the new sensor the reset option appeared and now I have no warning. Happy days. 
As for the brakes themselves it’s too early to say, given I have it booked in the garage this coming sat for bleeding of the ABS pump. Will post back with final verdict. 

Ps - you can replace the sensor without removing the calliper. Just a wheel off job. Maybe photograph the cable route before removal to aid refitting.