lewismason1310

Reputable Remap company?

Hi,

Just joined the forum after a few years in the Facebook group. 
I have a 2008 R56 Cooper S with the JCW aero kit. I am looking to get a remap to push the power up to just over 200bhp. 
I was initially interested in the MINI JCW tuning kit but as the kit is no longer available I’m stuck for options. 
As a MINI technician, I know the reputation the N14 has is not undeserved. That’s why I want small gains from a safe, reputable tuning company.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

On 06/11/2019 at 10:35, lewismason1310 said:

Hi,

I have a 2008 R56 Cooper S with the JCW aero kit. I am looking to get a remap to push the power up to just over 200bhp. 
I was initially interested in the MINI JCW tuning kit but as the kit is no longer available I’m stuck for options. 
As a MINI technician, I know the reputation the N14 has is not undeserved. That’s why I want small gains from a safe, reputable tuning company.

Thanks!

Hey @lewismason1310, welcome to FOM. I have that exact tuning kit, and its awesome! Its a shame they dont do it anymore, Genuine MINI Parts used to do them but i cant find that kit anymore. I always wonder if the map on my car is actually a stage 1, because ever since it went into MINI some years back it never felt the same again, as it it had been flashed with non JCW software. I guess ill never know.

With that said, im thinking of going down the Lohen route with the manic set up. Im sure they do different levels of tuning to match your needs, even at 200bhp. Be good to get a rolling road to see what power you currently have, then go from there. Thats my plan with @LewisE 

Example Lohen Performance Packs...

Pack 1 = https://www.lohen.co.uk/lohen-power-pack-1

Pack 2 = https://www.lohen.co.uk/lohen-power-pack-2

You also have our sponsor @Orranje and they do loads of tuning parts to help boost that power output, like an induction kit and sports cat, pair that with a nice intercooler from Airtec and you're almost there id have thought :)

Orranje R56 Tuning = https://orranje.co.uk/shop-by-car/bmw-mini/mini-generation-2

On 06/11/2019 at 10:35, lewismason1310 said:

Hi,

Thanks!

As @Mr Watton says the Lohen packs do exactly what they say on the tin and are tried and tested. We've both pretty much got stage 2 hardware so we're planning on hopefully having a look down next year to see what power we're producing and to get the cars mapped. 

If you're looking for a custom setup and map then 200bhp could most likely be achieved without any real mods. But a better air filter, spark plugs and a better flowing exhaust wouldn't go a miss (and would sound so much better) 

I've heard good things about BTG Performance and they're probably spot on for the level of tuning you're looking at. I know that Abarth Club North East get a lot of cars done there and @j13_wtt and @MattyH92 had theirs mapped there too. So they could give a much better account of them than I can. 

Let us know how you get on! 

Thanks guys,

I’m going to pop along to the BTG open day and have a chat with them. 
I’ve heard Lohen are a popular choice, might be worth a look. I’m not after crazy power, just a few more ponies 🐎 but not enough to compromise reliably.

On 12/11/2019 at 08:05, lewismason1310 said:

Thanks guys,

I’m going to pop along to the BTG open day and have a chat with them. 
I’ve heard Lohen are a popular choice, might be worth a look. I’m not after crazy power, just a few more ponies 🐎 but not enough to compromise reliably.

Yeah absolutely, you want to go for something your comfortable with, but also lets you upgrade further if and when you feel you need to. Dont be rail roaded into thinking you need more :)