Kai2k

Removal of Seats - difficult?

Hi all. So as some of you know I often get 'jcw envy' :-). As such I keep lurking on the auto trader and now and again see nice JCW's which fit the bill bar they have leather - I prefer cloth. I was just wondering how difficult it is to swap over seats ? Principally it's just bolts but I know nothing about the air bags. Anyone done this ? Is there any coding involved ? Thanks in advance. 

26 minutes ago, Kai2k said:

Hi all. So as some of you know I often get 'jcw envy' :-). As such I keep lurking on the auto trader and now and again see nice JCW's which fit the bill bar they have leather - I prefer cloth. I was just wondering how difficult it is to swap over seats ? Principally it's just bolts but I know nothing about the air bags. Anyone done this ? Is there any coding involved ? Thanks in advance. 

Should be a straight forward swap tbh. Only airbags to worry about are the front seats. Will need the battery disconnecting but shouldn’t need any coding at all 😃

Thanks Simon that's relay helpful. Thinking I might be able to do a deal with a dealer - he keeps the leather I keep my mint half leathers. We will see 👍

24 minutes ago, Kai2k said:

Thanks Simon that's relay helpful. Thinking I might be able to do a deal with a dealer - he keeps the leather I keep my mint half leathers. We will see 👍

Is this you saying you've found a suitable JCW? 🤔🤔

Depending what your current style of seats are like, and considering resale value of the potential JCW. I’d but the car as is and buy a cloth interior. It will be cheaper than trying to replace the leather later as the dealer may spot the cloth interior against the build spec.

as for swapping, it’s an easy enough job. Just disconnect the battery for an hour before and then unbolt + unplug and the reverse to fit 

21 hours ago, LCWElvin said:

Is this you saying you've found a suitable JCW? 🤔🤔

Perhaps! I need to see what mine is worth in part ex. It may come to nothing but it doesn't hurt to look. Such a shame it has the leather. @Kettlepot my seats are the standard MCS LCI half leathers - they'd match the rest of the JCW trim as it has everything else the same as mine, such as the colour line. My seats are mint too, only 35k on them. Given I've nowhere to store a set of seats I'd be tempted to take the hit on the value loss. I"d be keeping it for a long time so it needs to be right. Thanks for the heads up at least I know its do-able, albeit a bit of a faff. 

I swapped my lounge leather front and rears in a couple of hours, that’s including waiting for the battery