LewisE

2007 R56 MCS *Insert Name Here*

Thought I should start a build thread as the modifying bug is starting to bite. Got a JCW body kit on the way with plans to dechrome, change wheels and do some engine mods. 

I've always preferred an OEM+ look instead of a heavily modified look, so I won't be going all out with the mods! 

The MINI is already looking a tad different to when I bought it at the start of the year due to some small cosmetic changes. Namely the wheels, black roof, blue brake calipers, blue 'S' grille badge and my private plate

_20180911_172048.JPG.a44e4957ac6011dd9074a0e50341bfba.JPG

_20180902_162653.JPG.d013a132219c1791ce588751914f5d23.JPG

Had a Factory JCW exhaust fitted and had a play with some plastidip, too

_20180911_171835.JPG.cd5eefb17cb94f89aa3e77c871fc9e5d.JPG

Once the JCW kit is fitted I think wheels and lowering springs are next on the cards when the bank balance allows it! 

Also, I've had it for 8 months now and still haven't given it a name! Any 'inspiration' would be greatly appreciated.. I can't go on calling it 'The MINI' forever! 

Edited by LCWElvin

Nice one @LCWElvin, sounds like you’ve been well and truly bitten by the modifying bug.

not being sexist but do you consider you car male or female ? (for the name)

I love a good Build thread, and the black tail rings really suit it! 

Mines Frank because it’s a Grumpy git sometimes when it plays up 😄

Past MINI names are Charlie and Sasha, if that helps inspiration @LCWElvin

At first all I could think about was Bob due to the last three letter of your reg "Bob Hope" (hope nothing breaks)

But now I'm thinking he's more of a Pete (possibly) unless you want obscure

The name 'Angus' popped into my head on my drive home last night. Don't know why I thought of that but I'm thinking it's a serious contender 🤔

On another note, my body kit is at the 'Parcelforce Hub' and should be here in a couple of days 😁

Got home from work this evening to find 2 parcels waiting for me and I wasn't disappointed with their contents 

DSC_0044.JPG.ed45bcd8ee628808ea0188c9f737cc3c.JPG

Pretty pleased! The front bumper and side skirts are in pretty good condition and can go straight on after they've been cleaned. The rear bumper, on the other hand, has a bit of lacquer peel so it'll need a respray 🙄 

The rear bumper has a carbon diffuser instead of a dark silver one which I didn't know about, so that was a nice little surprise! 

DSC_0045.JPG.f3a18b7f523045bdd9bdba223e53b31f.JPG

Itching to get them on now, hopefully by the end of the week! 

Can anyone recommend anywhere local and reasonably priced that will respray the rear bumper for me? 

Awesome mate will look good when on the car great bonus with the carbon diffuser 

11 hours ago, b34st said:

Awesome mate will look good when on the car great bonus with the carbon diffuser 

They'd be on now if I didn't have to go to work! 

I thought so with the diffuser. Was planning on spraying it gloss black but now I have the carbon one I think I'll just leave it 😁

26 minutes ago, LCWElvin said:

They'd be on now if I didn't have to go to work! 

I thought so with the diffuser. Was planning on spraying it gloss black but now I have the carbon one I think I'll just leave it 😁

Well played on the aero kit and the carbon, what a bonus having that as well 👍🏻

You’ll be really happy with the looks of your Mini once Aero kit fitted 😉 Carbon insert is big bonus 👍🏻 Mine is getting either wrapped gloss black or maybe hydro dipped (carbon)

Bad news on the Aero Kit front, today! 

Had a chance to have a proper good look over it and the front bumper needs a hell of a lot of work! To say im p***ed off is an understatement 🤒

Got 2 bumpers to get repaired and resprayed now.. At lasts the side skirts are okay 😅

if they aren’t on the car, it shouldn’t take a lot of extra cash to paint both(I wouldn’t have thought)  as there will be a minimum paint mix quantity

Update! 

Finally got the bumpers off to a paint shop. Quoted a very good price and should have them back next week 😁

Bought some Aero 2 trims for the front bumper and a grille with the brake ducts so should look a little bit face lifted when fitted. 

Thinking about getting a GP2 style diffuser while I'm at it, but the whole kit is quite expensive. 

Anyone got any pics of a car with the GP2 diffuser fitter but with no air ducts underneath? Just need to know it won't look silly before I buy just the bumper trim piece 🤔

_20180926_145433.JPG.3b0bcab43693281c26195ee3395f1c68.JPG

Edited by LCWElvin
Grammar, update added

On 21/09/2018 at 10:40, LCWElvin said:

Update! 

Finally got the bumpers off to a paint shop. Quoted a very good price and should have them back next week 😁

Bought some Aero 2 trims for the front bumper and a grille with the brake ducts so should look a little bit face lifted when fitted. 

Thinking about getting a GP2 style diffuser while I'm at it, but the whole kit is quite expensive. 

Anyone got any pics of a car with the GP2 diffuser fitter but with no air ducts underneath? Just need to know it won't look silly before I buy just the bumper trim piece 🤔

_20180926_145433.JPG.3b0bcab43693281c26195ee3395f1c68.JPG

Haven't got the hang of this posting malarkey yet, added to a post instead of making a new one 🤦‍♂️ see today's update added to Friday's above ^^^

It’s very tempting just to buy the rear section but I wouldn’t recommend it. The whole thing screws together and is supported at the front. If you just use the rear section, it will probably add a lot of stress to the bumper and could cause damage flapping around. Plus you could easily tell the tunnels where missing.

im sure there is a picture of Simon’s in his build thread pre challenge diffuser when it spent a bit of time without a diffuser altogether. You could see a lot more suspension 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Kettlepot said:

It’s very tempting just to buy the rear section but I wouldn’t recommend it. The whole thing screws together and is supported at the front. If you just use the rear section, it will probably add a lot of stress to the bumper and could cause damage flapping around. Plus you could easily tell the tunnels where missing.

im sure there is a picture of Simon’s in his build thread pre challenge diffuser when it spent a bit of time without a diffuser altogether. You could see a lot more suspension 👍🏻

Just had a look at Si's thread and you're right about being able to see a lot of suspension which is exactly what I was worried about if I decided to not get the tunnels. 

Looks like I'll wait a little longer until I can justify the expense of the whole kit! 

Aero II front trims have arrived, they look a damn sight better than what was on originally. (New one is at the back if you can't tell 😉

_20180928_140357.JPG.b561bbf4b01d1957baaf5ddb1673765d.JPG

Got a few more bits arriving today.. More to follow! 😁

3 hours ago, LCWElvin said:

Aero II front trims have arrived, they look a damn sight better than what was on originally. (New one is at the back if you can't tell 😉

_20180928_140357.JPG.b561bbf4b01d1957baaf5ddb1673765d.JPG

Got a few more bits arriving today.. More to follow! 😁

Great addition! Always wanted to do this on mine, they look a lot better contoured on the leading edge and on the outer edges

Major update today... They're back! 

All painted up and looking perfect. Fitted all of the trim so they're all ready to go on! Almost.. 

_20181005_190640.JPG.afb144e9f77637b15d623fb1a96641dc.JPG

As you'll be able to tell from the picture the Aero II front trims aren't on. The reason being that they don't fit!

The mouldings look to be slightly different shape to the bumper cutouts, so it's back to the drawing board on that one. It's either that or I'm not being ambitious enough when trying to put them on.. 

Haven't figured out where to put my 2 central parking sensors either as this is *not* a PDC bumper.. Oops 🤫

looking good mate who needs parking sensors anyway hahaha 

1 hour ago, b34st said:

looking good mate who needs parking sensors anyway hahaha 

Thanks Chris

Evidently not me 🤣🤷‍♂️

Gutted for you on the front spoiler! Just as well I didn’t order any 😄

Rear bumper looks spot on with the diffuser 👍🏻

Looking good, let me know if you need a pic of parking sensor locations on the aero bumper