Sign in to follow this  
Kai2k

N18 de-coke?

At Mini Mania I learnt from speaking to some of you that R56's need de-coking now and again. My question is, does this apply to the N18 engine? If so is there any preventative maintenance I need to do (a helpful chap with a nice Grey MCS, think his name was Louis showed me some kind of trap to catch the coke) or do I just factor in the £200+ every x amount of miles? I'll be a long term owner of my car hence the question. I do a mix of slow and fast, town and motorway work. 

Thanks ever so much,

Kai.

Helpful chap being me 🙋🏻‍♂️ *Lewis 😉

If I remember correctly the N18 is nowhere near as bad for it as the N14, but can start to show signs at higher miles?

If yours is low milage then I'd imagine you've got nothing to worry about. I'm  sure someone in the know will correct me if I'm wrong! 

Lewis 

Thanks Lewis,

31k and do about 5k a year so probably ok for a while. Just wondering if there is any action I should take now or just let it do it then address it at the time.

Thanks

Kai 

nice one Lewis, pretty much spot on from what I’m aware. 

Kai, I think you are referring to a “catch can” to catch an oil that is moving through the breather lines.

sorry I couldn’t be much more help but being a diesel owner I don’t have that much experience with them other than talking to all of the other members at meets and shows

I saw a Factory JCW with N18 bad at 25k, my N14 was done with about 30k and it wasn’t very good like. I felt a huge difference once it was blasted out.

steer clear of terraclean, I had customers say they had it done but once the camera got in to look you couldn’t tell the terraclean actually made a dent. 

Theres another thread somewhere here with images of some of some of the decokes carried out, including mine 👍🏻