Steve75

R56 MCS Juddering in 1st gear

Hello,

I've owned my MINI for about 5 months, very happy with it and according to all the receipts that came with it, it's had the majority of the common issues sorted....Timing chain replaced about 6 months ago, HPFP also replaced around the same time. Full service history....the only thing I haven't got receipts for is a clutch...and a de-coke!

It's an 09, with 86k on the clock, there's a couple of things I've noticed which I'm after some advice on please.

When stuck in rush hour traffic and trundling along in 1st, it feels quite jerky, juddery, this is more obvious on hills...when pulling away, feels like it's going to stall if I don't give it plenty of revs....once in 2nd though it's fine.

Is this a sign that a de-coke is needed? (I'm guessing it's never been done)

The other thing I've noticed occasionally is when pulling away from cold just before changing into 2nd the engine sounds slightly different...but not in a good way...it's quite hard to describe almost a dry scrapey sort of noise! It did make a louder noise once, at which point I topped up the oil and that seemed to sort it.

I was suspecting timing chain, but as previously mentioned it was replaced less than a year ago.

After about a minute of driving it sounds fine again.

Also if I let the engine idle and rev it a few times before pulling away it sounds fine. Could this be a timing chain issue..or low oil?

I check the oil regularly...and on the OEM dipstick it looks fine but it's not the easiest thing to read!

Any advice/ideas much appreciated!

Im an r53 ownr but i'm sure the other lads will be able to help

It sounds like it could just need a de-coke. I’m not 100% as I have a diesel but the juddering could be similar to a fuelling issue,not running smooth and like wise when pulling, not getting a good mix.

Just my 2p worth as I’m a diesel driver [emoji1303]

Cheers for the reply's guys.

Always planned on getting a decoke done, it's just finding a place to do it and the time to get it done!

As for the noise on cold acceleration, I've found a couple of threads over on the MINI2 forums about it, mostly relates to R53's though, and just found this one:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/287763-noise-during-cold-engine-acceleration.html

The second link is mentioning the timing chain or more specifically the tensioner. If that is the case...and the one in my car was replaced less than a year ago...when the previous owner had it...is it likely the work would be under guarantee? It was done at a dealers...but down in Wakefield near to where I got the car, that would be quite a trek to take it in for them to look at. Is it likely that a local MINI dealer would have a look without charging me a fortune for the pleasure!?

The second link is mentioning the timing chain or more specifically the tensioner. If that is the case...and the one in my car was replaced less than a year ago...when the previous owner had it...is it likely the work would be under guarantee? It was done at a dealers...but down in Wakefield near to where I got the car, that would be quite a trek to take it in for them to look at. Is it likely that a local MINI dealer would have a look without charging me a fortune for the pleasure!?

If it were a genuine MINI part fitted, then the warranty of the part is covered at any MINI franchise [emoji1303]

Be aware they still might want your authority to agree a diagnostic fee in the case that it wasn’t something in relation to what was done previous. I used to be a MINI service advisor, I used to say that a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 31/01/2018 at 22:38, Steve75 said:

Cheers for the reply's guys.

Always planned on getting a decoke done, it's just finding a place to do it and the time to get it done!

As for the noise on cold acceleration, I've found a couple of threads over on the MINI2 forums about it, mostly relates to R53's though, and just found this one:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/r56-hatch-talk-2007/287763-noise-during-cold-engine-acceleration.html

Hi Steve, I've come across your post from last year, and was wondering if the issue you  had with your Mini ever get resolved? only I'm experiencing the same syptoms in my R56 MCS.