Michael Cee

Those unwanted chrome bits

So recently I decided to plasti dip some bits of chrome on the F56 and all looked well. I did the trim on the grill red like the JCW one and the light trims black

340fb25291c1856b3e2dbf6fc4fb2522.jpg201706 ... fb2522.jpg"><a href=https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170603/340fb25291c1856b3e2dbf6fc4fb2522.jpg' alt='URL>'>

c4cd92898459e1c0360bae81dae2cd1c.jpg201706 ... e2cd1c.jpg"><a href=https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170603/c4cd92898459e1c0360bae81dae2cd1c.jpg' alt='URL>'>

I was pleased with the results until I went for a bit of a hoon to kielder and my car was covered in flies. Came to wash it the next day (with the jet wash) and this happened [emoji24]

54360f92fb4cd6cc1dab3fd6621a4e67.jpg201706 ... 1a4e67.jpg"><a href=https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170603/54360f92fb4cd6cc1dab3fd6621a4e67.jpg' alt='URL>'>

2c97c344198b945fced6fbe97107913f.jpg201706 ... 07913f.jpg"><a href=https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170603/2c97c344198b945fced6fbe97107913f.jpg' alt='URL>'>

So what's people's opinion on what to use because I could have a crack at vinyl wrapping it but I've been told it shrink in the sun, my other option would be to strip all the trims from the car and spray them but I'm worried about snapping clips.

Sent from my iPhone using FULLONMINIs.co.uk mobile app

What kinda dip did you use? I've never had a problem with anything I've done (I use Performix plasti-dip, the American import stuff, not the euro formula)

What kinda dip did you use? I've never had a problem with anything I've done (I use Performix plasti-dip, the American import stuff, not the euro formula)

That may be my problem as I just used Halfords own brand

How well did you prep the surface ? Could the plasti-dip moved with the force of the wash, causing some areas to stretch and others to wrinkle ?

How well did you prep the surface ? Could the plasti-dip moved with the force of the wash, causing some areas to stretch and others to wrinkle ?

I haven't used the stuff before so I didn't prep the surface other than cleaning it with paint prep wipes as it stated to do so on the tin, but I looked up the stuff you said and they advise to primer it first if you want it to be permanent [emoji4]

Prepping it the way you have sounds like it may not have keyed the surface although if you ever want to go back to chrome, you wouldn't want it to be scuffed. If you like the colour, it might be worth getting them wrapped

Prepping it the way you have sounds like it may not have keyed the surface although if you ever want to go back to chrome, you wouldn't want it to be scuffed. If you like the colour, it might be worth getting them wrapped

I did look into getting them wrapped but I've heard it can shrink in the sunlight, also how well would a wrap go against stone chips as I do a lot of driving on country roads

I didn't know wrap would shrink, I guess it depends on quality etc

I would expect it to stand quite well in comparison to plasti dip against stone chips. It all depends how close you follow the car in front [emoji41]

I didn't know wrap would shrink, I guess it depends on quality etc

I would expect it to stand quite well in comparison to plasti dip against stone chips. It all depends how close you follow the car in front [emoji41]

I was told by somebody who wraps as a job that it can shrink in the sunlight but I've not heard of it happening before?

It all depends on the quality of the vinyl and how stretched it gets at the edges whilst it's applied

It all depends on the quality of the vinyl and how stretched it gets at the edges whilst it's applied

I imagine if I got it done by say wrap monkeys it would last but they quoted me a price I can't justify for wrapping some trims as they said it's a "hard job"

I'd have a go at wrapping it yourself if I was you Michael! You can get some high quality vinyl online for a few quid (probably less than the plastidip cost ya). Worst case scenario, you have a go, don't like it, then peel it off. No harm done!

I wrapped the trim on my old R56 in gloss black. Cost me less than £20, I managed to do it without any previous wrapping experience (loads of tutorials to watch on YouTube). As far as shrinking is concerned, mine lasted well over two years with no signs of shrinkage at all. Lots of people get their trim wrapped without issues and if you want to return to standard in the future, it's a ten minute job to remove it too.

I'd have a go at wrapping it yourself if I was you Michael! You can get some high quality vinyl online for a few quid (probably less than the plastidip cost ya). Worst case scenario, you have a go, don't like it, then peel it off. No harm done!

I wrapped the trim on my old R56 in gloss black. Cost me less than £20, I managed to do it without any previous wrapping experience (loads of tutorials to watch on YouTube). As far as shrinking is concerned, mine lasted well over two years with no signs of shrinkage at all. Lots of people get their trim wrapped without issues and if you want to return to standard in the future, it's a ten minute job to remove it too.

I think I'm actually just going to spray paint them now, probably the most expensive way I know [emoji42] but I'm going to get som paint the same colour as my car so that I can colour code them.

Has anyone ever removed the belt line chrome strip? Just curious if it's possible without snapping everything [emoji848]

I can't speak for the f56 but the previous models had the chrome encased in the rubber seal. I believe it was do-able but was a lot of work. I would reckon the new models to be the same. Hence why people just buy the belt line kits.

I can't speak for the f56 but the previous models had the chrome encased in the rubber seal. I believe it was do-able but was a lot of work. I would reckon the new models to be the same. Hence why people just buy the belt line kits.

I would have thought they would be the same if not similar, I'll just buy one of the belt line kits and give that a try. Thank you [emoji4]