• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In doing the centre arm rest I had to decide if I was going for the single seam down the centre or off to one side (kinda like viper stripes) or a seam down either side or have a seam down either

A couple more photos for those following progress. the side and roof weren’t too bad but have came up well. I hope I’ve got rid of some of the holograms that were on the drivers door

After a lot of communication between SMPS2012 (site sponsor) I ordered the belt line kit. I literally couldn’t wait to fit it so pretty much went out and cracked straight on.   

Posted Images

• Super Moderator

It broke free from the garage to be used as a daily for the rest of the week. A nice bit of beadage going on even after a drive to and from work in the rain all thanks to some meguiars liquid ceramic wax. I’ll update this to say how long it lasts

0EE919D4-9108-4314-9A67-7F51A0953577.jpeg

3A45944E-ED1C-433B-A13D-BB37521BE010.jpeg

You've certainly been cracking on @Kettlepot, not a single piece of chrome in sight!

I wasn't aware you could get black Cooper SD badges... If you don't mind me asking where did you get it from? 

• Super Moderator
On 03/10/2020 at 09:01, LewisE said:

You've certainly been cracking on @Kettlepot, not a single piece of chrome in sight!

I wasn't aware you could get black Cooper SD badges... If you don't mind me asking where did you get it from? 

the bay of E, the shop was was Bluebell Crewe 

Here is a link (if it still works)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402417624734

thats why I bought the F56 LCI badges too

• 2 months later...
  • Super Moderator

Not a lot to report I'm afraid, other than I managed to get out for a drive up to Hartside with @Mr Wattona couple of weeks ago and I suspect the front discs may need replacing due to corrosion on the inside edge (new pads and discs 💰😡) I seam to be paying a similar amount of money to keep the car in the garage 🤯.

Oh and on the return from Hartside, I managed to hit a pheasant 🤬 ! I swerved several times before I eventually hit it. Fortunately it wasn't at great speed although the force was strong enough to push the fog light surround out of the bumper and knock the sidelight bulb out of the holder so the bulb was rattling in the light. I had to wait a week or so for time to get the front bumper off to carry out the repair, I'm glad I did as getting the bulb out of the housing and re-attaching the trim to the bumper was much easier due to access etc (more time consuming but much less hassle and far fewer cuts to fingers and wrists trying to get hands into small spaces)

Oh, and it isn't going to be long before its next MOT, I can't wait to find out how many miles it has been since its last one (week 2 of lockdown 1) 

• Super Moderator
39 minutes ago, Kai2k said:

Sorry to hear that @Kettlepot - sounds like quite a lot of work - I’m glad nothing was permanently damaged- except perhaps the Pheasant ! Looking forward to a run out in the new year. Happy new year ! 

I’m getting used to removing the bumper now so although it was quite a bit of work, it wasn’t too difficult. Thankfully.

I’m just glad that it wasn’t expensive to fix (time is free at the moment)

I would have loved to have seen the look on the pheasants face just before impact but that will have to be left to the imagination I’m afraid. @Mr Wattonwas the last to see the pheasant so goodness knows where it is now 🤷🏻‍♂️

All the best for the ‘21 @Kai2k

• 2 weeks later...
  • FOM++

@Kettlepot I've a question actually regarding the front bumper's removal; do you take the skirt off, or leave it in situ? When I fitted my JCW bumper I did think that the lower bolts that face upward looked quite deep in the bumper. I vaguely remember thinking once these are on they'll be hard to remove. 

Pheasants are a nightmare - my mate Paul hit one once in his super rare XR2. At the time I worked at Castle Eden which is on the Castle Eden Walkway. While we were inspecting the damage a chap pulled up in a camper van, donning his walking poles and rucksack. He yomps over and says "do you want that"? - Upon us answering "No" he promptly removed it and chucked it in his van mumbling "Champion, that's tea sorted"!

• Super Moderator
6 hours ago, Kai2k said:

@Kettlepot I've a question actually regarding the front bumper's removal; do you take the skirt off, or leave it in situ? When I fitted my JCW bumper I did think that the lower bolts that face upward looked quite deep in the bumper. I vaguely remember thinking once these are on they'll be hard to remove. 

I’m not sure I know which bit you are referring to as being the “skirt”

I removed the front grill to access the top bolts, then loosened the arch liner to separate the arch trim from the bumper trim, then took out the 3? Vertical torx screws underneath, with all of those removed I took the bolts out of the top and lifted the bumper off. 

oh, I did remove the undertray too just for ease more than anything else

7B16FDA6-DE73-4B96-9ECE-7CC05CB295CE.jpeg

• FOM++
On 11/01/2021 at 19:10, Kettlepot said:

I’m not sure I know which bit you are referring to as being the “skirt”

I removed the front grill to access the top bolts, then loosened the arch liner to separate the arch trim from the bumper trim, then took out the 3? Vertical torx screws underneath, with all of those removed I took the bolts out of the top and lifted the bumper off. 

oh, I did remove the undertray too just for ease more than anything else

7B16FDA6-DE73-4B96-9ECE-7CC05CB295CE.jpeg

Thanks @Kettlepot  I was really thinking about those 3? Vertical bolts underneath. Maybe I dreamt it but when I fitted my bumper the heads seems very deep in the bumper. I remember thinking you could potentially unscrew the bolt but then drop it inside the lower skirt - maybe I dreamt all that. Hopefully I’ll never need to take my bumper off. The point being though on my old bumper you could see the bolt heads but on the aero bumper, being much lower the bolt heads are much deeper inside the bumper. 

• Super Moderator
18 hours ago, Kai2k said:

Thanks @Kettlepot  I was really thinking about those 3? Vertical bolts underneath. Maybe I dreamt it but when I fitted my bumper the heads seems very deep in the bumper. I remember thinking you could potentially unscrew the bolt but then drop it inside the lower skirt - maybe I dreamt all that. Hopefully I’ll never need to take my bumper off. The point being though on my old bumper you could see the bolt heads but on the aero bumper, being much lower the bolt heads are much deeper inside the bumper. 

Potentially the 3? bolts could fall into the second skin but you'd be very unlucky as the outer hole is far bigger than the head of the torx bolt and they are pretty secure on the torx driver. Its more of a case of remembering that they are there before you try and pull the bumper off thinking that you have unbolted everything. 

• FOM++
On 14/01/2021 at 15:05, Kettlepot said:

Potentially the 3? bolts could fall into the second skin but you'd be very unlucky as the outer hole is far bigger than the head of the torx bolt and they are pretty secure on the torx driver. Its more of a case of remembering that they are there before you try and pull the bumper off thinking that you have unbolted everything. 

Thanks @KettlepotI appreciate the advice there - I had a feeling that might be the case. I guess it's a case of having a decent magnetic torx driver and being careful.

Thanks again.

Kai.