Sign in to follow this  
Kettlepot

Interior fan squealing intermitantly

Hello again, as you may have guessed it I'm asking for advice again. And hoping someone has been into the dash further than me.

As you may have guessed my fan has stated squealing most of the time. I can stop it but I have to turn the fan off to do this.

Does anyone know if there is easy access ? Or easy fix ?

I started stripping the dash this morning but chickened out when I saw the number of screws I was taking out and how many remained. And at the time I didn't know exactly where the fan was located (and still don't)

Any help would be greatly received.

Thanks

Ian

Thought I'd bump this as I still haven't got managed to get to the bottom of the noise.

It's the type of noise you get when you hold a blade of gras between your thumbs and blow.

I read somewhere that this could be the fan wearing and to lube it but I've sprayed it with so much stuff and greased it to within an inch of its life and it has made no difference.

It's one of those noises that comes and goes, I've noticed it more on bumpy roads and randomly when I have a passenger (my wife), one easy answer don't take the wife down bumpy roads I hear you say ! But it happened on the A1 last. I wonder if a leaf could be stuck or something.

Anyone know the inlet for air into the heater system ?

Is it on the passenger side under the bonnet ?

Please help it's driving me mad

daft question, but have you checked the pollen filter ?

It has been in and out a couple of times to lube the fan but I like your thinking !

I'll take it out tomorrow and leave it out to see if it helps.

I did have the noise about a year ago but vanished and never heard it again

if its not been changed a while tho it can cause poor airflow and the air kinda stalls the motor ;) If not, then youll need a donor motor perhaps...

The filter was change approx six months ago, looks kinda fresh ish.

Is there an airflow paddle that moves to alter from hot airflow and cold airflow ? I wondered if there was a seal on it that may be vibrating

daft question, but have you checked the pollen filter ?

it's not the pollen filter [emoji24] when I was driving to work, I managed to investigate and took the pollen filter out during the squealing and unfortunately the noise stayed [emoji24]

Although it did go off after stopping the fan and restarting it (this hardly happened before) .

I can't leave it any longer, that noise is winding me up.

It makes no difference if the air con is on or off, heater is on or off, blower is on windscreen or feet. I just can't take it any more without doing anything so

Partial strip of the dash today but couldn't fully strip it as the car is booked in for its tracking at Revolution in the morning, so needs to be drivable at least. Will continue once I get it home and hopefully find the noise and silence it or at least educate myself on how the dash comes to bits and goes back together.

Must be back together for work and metro centre on Wednesday.

So if we can all cross our fingers, I may have some good luck for once and it will all come to bits and go back together on time and without breaking anything. [emoji106]

I hadn't wanted to update this too soon as I hadn't wanted to tempt fate, however true to form, with a passenger in the car it started again. I think it can only be the knackered bearings in the fan. I had sprayed them with wd40 but that was nearly a week ago. If anyone thinks it could be something else please let me know.

But all I can think of for now is to try a new fan. Fingers crossed I can get it (the fan) out without removing the whole dash AGAIN !

Rant over [emoji41]

Check the wifes earing. Lol

Lmfao

[emoji38][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

I liked that one

Guess what I'm up to this morning 0ec0f8a5f8f33d549fdfe727ced62a86.jpg11 ... d62a86.jpg"><a href=http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/30/0ec0f8a5f8f33d549fdfe727ced62a86.jpg' alt='URL>'>

Yep, that damn fan again !!!!!

Fingers crossed again !!!

If you are referring to dials with push button air con or full climate.

I have full climate. As pictured below. Why do you ask ?

09c2d06aefa3b701d5ac7cb2d4b8b38b.jpg11 ... b8b38b.jpg"><a href=http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/30/09c2d06aefa3b701d5ac7cb2d4b8b38b.jpg' alt='URL>'>

Just trying to narrow things down a bit. With it being the auto I'm thinking it could be the diverter flaps not sealing correctly, saying that my money is still on the fan bearings

Just trying to narrow things down a bit. With it being the auto I'm thinking it could be the diverter flaps not sealing correctly, saying that my money is still on the fan bearings

The vibratey kinda noise it was, it kinda had to be the fan. Yes I said vibratey, I don't know if it could be a word but it should be.

To change the fan I had the whole blower system stripped and the the flaps were balanced (axis 1/2 way) so shouldn't squeal.

Replaced the motor and hopefully all is ok now but only time will tell.

After a couple of hours driving yesterday and approx 3 hours today I haven't heard the blower squeal yet, I THINK it may be sorted [emoji106] here's hoping