Sign in to follow this  
Kettlepot

Strut brace's

<t></t>  

1. 1. <t></t>

I have managed to get rid of about 95% of the dents. I may have a go at modifying the brace (modifying a modification, what's that called ??? Lol) I won't fix the dents fully until the brace is either fitted properly or sold !

Just chopped and welded the strut brace in a lower position, but still mighty close to the bonnet. Anybody know how much it could bend under stress and how much pre-tension it should be under ?

Should it pull the struts together or push them apart ? (I'm probably over thinking it)

Just chopped and welded the strut brace in a lower position, but still mighty close to the bonnet. Anybody know how much it could bend under stress and how much pre-tension it should be under ?

Should it pull the struts together or push them apart ? (I'm probably over thinking it)

The brace bar itself isn't under tension - ie. It doesn't push the suspension turrets apart or pull them together (sure on r56 about this but may do on r50/53???).

I used this guide :

http://motoringfile.com/files/R56_PDF/jcw_strut_brace.PDF

But again is for an r56.

Try searching for an r50 guide perhaps.

Hope this helps.

The brace bar itself isn't under tension - ie. It doesn't push the suspension turrets apart or pull them together (sure on r56 about this but may do on r50/53???).

I used this guide :

But again is for an r56.

Hope this helps.

I used this guide :

But again is for an r56.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that Mark. I had found similar but not as detailed. When I fit the brace and push the struts apart (to simulate cornering) the brace bends upwards and hits the bonnet, which is what I don't want !

But fitting it without tension doesn't sit right in my head as the struts have to move further before the brace starts to work ? If the brace was tensioned then it would help hold the strut rigid ???

Now I'm all confused

:-(

I used this guide :

But again is for an r56.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that Mark. I had found similar but not as detailed. When I fit the brace and push the struts apart (to simulate cornering) the brace bends upwards and hits the bonnet, which is what I don't want !

But fitting it without tension doesn't sit right in my head as the struts have to move further before the brace starts to work ? If the brace was tensioned then it would help hold the strut rigid ???

Now I'm all confused

:-(

I'm no engineer Ian but the bar shouldn't bend enough (at all even) to hit the bonnet.

And would the chassis flex that much to cause such bending??

I'm no engineer Ian but the bar shouldn't bend enough (at all even) to hit the bonnet.

And would the chassis flex that much to cause such bending??

What you say makes sense, how much would each strut need to move to put stress into the brace, which would then pose my question, how much does a strut brace do ?

From full positive tension to full negative must be at in the region of 7-10mm

What you say makes sense, how much would each strut need to move to put stress into the brace, which would then pose my question, how much does a strut brace do ?

From full positive tension to full negative must be at in the region of 7-10mm

the idea behind one is it stiffens the chassis by adding support where the gap for the engine bay is. In reality unless you have the lower one it does nowt except look shiny

the idea behind one is it stiffens the chassis by adding support where the gap for the engine bay is. In reality unless you have the lower one it does nowt except look shiny