RT2002MCS

2002 Dark Silver MCS - One for life

Managed to purchase at a very reasonable price a set of JCW carbon mirror caps.

I sanded down with 1200 grit, polished, re-lacquered, flatted back with 2500 grit and polished again, to achieve this.

image.jpg1_zpsgrnmea9c.jpgLINK_TEXT><e>

Eventually got my GTT armrest installed after buying years ago for a fraction of the cost new.

Not a simple install for me as the DSC control box was in the way, so I had to butcher the handbrake console with the dremmel, so I took the opportunity to have it covered in leather.

image.jpg2_zps3casasbo.jpgLINK_TEXT><e>

How the interior currently looks

image.jpg4_zps0wdbwaz2.jpgLINK_TEXT><e>

Looks fab that @RT2002MCS thanks for coming on and keeping your thread up to date

Looking good. Sometimes when things don't go quite to plan, you end up with a better result after plan B, which a makes you happier than what you would have been if plan A went well !

Unfortunately I have repair work planned for Friday

Mountain bike handlebar stem dented boot lid and scuffed the rear bumper.

image.jpg3_zpsxtqz0n7i.jpgLINK_TEXT><e>

Jacking block failed, one of the retaining clips had snapped and my trolley jack went through the side skirt. Two replacement blocks have been sourced and installed and the other two repaired to allow my recently purchased adapter block to fit.

image.jpg3_zpszcmgeuxd.jpgLINK_TEXT><e>

Replacement side skirt sourced and plastic primed and then primed.

image.jpg1_zpsqw9vr0kk.jpgLINK_TEXT><e>

Also been removing fixings from the engine bay and either replacing or painting.

image.jpg5_zpsdnxol7ga.jpgLINK_TEXT><e>

Looks fab that @RT2002MCS thanks for coming on and keeping your thread up to date

Thank you

Dent in boot lid (using PDR) and rear bumper scuff now both repaired, replacement side skirt has been painted.

Car now waiting for the delivery of the retaining clips I destroyed that were apparently reusable not in my hands though.

13 years of dirt removed, scuffs touched up with paint and everything coated in cavity wax.

image.jpg1_zpsv9ufgwul.jpgLINK_TEXT><e>

Edited by Guest

Nice work. It's suprising how much dirt can build in such a small space ! I remember how much came out from behind my belt line on my R50, it was a disgrace

Nice work. It's suprising how much dirt can build in such a small space ! I remember how much came out from behind my belt line on my R50, it was a disgrace

I did the same thing last year, the rear end was unbelievable, I think it will need doing frequently from now on.

Freshly painted side skirt now installed.

image.jpg2_zpsrj7sgsvy.jpgLINK_TEXT><e>

Also ticked off a couple of annoyances

New passenger side roof guttering installed and both rear and side window trims secured.

image.jpg3_zpstpz7cmlj.jpgLINK_TEXT><e>

Showing our support

image.jpg1_zps3surm0zp.jpgLINK_TEXT><e>

image.jpg4_zpsdpb8egvn.jpgLINK_TEXT><e>

Shouldn't be anything left to fix now surely? ;)

Thanks for the support, really appreciated :)

Shouldn't be anything left to fix now surely? ;)

Thanks for the support, really appreciated :)

It's a MINI.

Front wheel arch liners are off at the moment to find out what lies beneath, first one was very good, hope they are all like that.

Cleaned up, paint touch up and cavity wax being applied.

Car has been with AW Autoworks in Thornaby the past week.

The following Powerflex bushes have been installed.

Front wishbone rear mount

Rear trailing arm front

Upper engine mount (small & large)

Lower engine mount (small and large)

Back in next week to have the gearbox mount installed and the centre exhaust bracket replaced.

Maintenance work also completed

Front discs and pads replaced - I went with the GT Tuning setup (The EBC discs I had on previously have turned out to be a very poor investment, the Mintex M1144 pads torn them apart)

Rear brake pads replaced

Clutch slave cylinder replaced

Also had my first MOT failure with the car, I always take it to BMW and it failed on headlight alignment of both sides??? Why they don't just adjust them is beyond me?

Some knob also thought it would be good idea to leave me with a rear arch hanging off and scuff both of them on the drivers side, I have repainted them myself this weekend with Halfords products I already had available (I'll keep my eye open for a white car with a dark silver scuff) They are presentable but I am too fussy and they will have to be dropped off at a body shop.

Minor Update

Added a full set of cargo nets in the boot, a little scary getting the drill out to the trim panels. They are proving to be quite useful.

image_zpsum9duyqj.jpegLINK_TEXT><e>

Removed all the exterior trim recently to give the car a really good detail. The amount of dirt behind the rear window trim was excessive.

image_zps0wsh6dzx.jpegLINK_TEXT><e>

image_zpsb9ebtjub.jpegLINK_TEXT><e>

Got the rattle cans out and sprayed the front bumper insert (Matt Black and Dark Silver) and also added a Craven Speed tow hook.

image_zpsnbr0bqmq.jpegLINK_TEXT><e>

How easy are those beltline trims to get off (and more importantly, back on)?

Very easy both on and off.

i found the easiest was the boot, props the best place to start in my opinion. push the trim sideways whilst pulling away from the boot. its worth having the boot open marginally so the trim doesn't hit anything. There is either four or five clips hold the belt line trim to the boot all evenly spaced. Don't be surprised at how much crap comes out from under the beltline. I will see if i have a close up photo some where for you Colin

That'd be ideal as I'm going to have a go at Plasti dipping mine instead of re-vinyling it

The only thing is, will the plasti dip be flexible enough against the window to seal and stop water ingress ? ? ? ?

Ive just looked and can't find any photos sorry, the photos above show the half of the clip that attaches to the car. Although i don't remember that many clips lol and i think they were slightly different on my 2004 (prefacelift). i seem to remember mine being held by a horizontal clip where as the ones above seem to be vertically held (i know what i mean but its hard to explain)

When i did mine I just pushed a finger behind the belittling and the first clip just un-popped quite easily and i continued carefully. the second and third time i took them off i was a bit more abrupt but still no issues

Repair work

Rotten centre exhaust bracket removed and replaced with new bracket, bolts and rubbers

Maintenance work

Oil service at 64000 miles

Modifications

Powerflex gearbox mount

Newman camshaft Ph2

GTT mid chassis brace

Edited by Guest