Andy

Andy's build! Baby Got Back! (picture Intensive)

Congrats again on the award Andy, did you get a prize just out f interest or is it the kudos ?

That's interesting what you say about the fuel pump, mine is awful jerky in first and second from 1000rpm, might be something for me to try. Colour of the plugs look fine to me by the way, what were you thinking ?

You can never have to many updates. Always welcome. Armrests good, hope you manged to sort the wiring out for it.

gonna call the dealer later on as I need a com-box. This is where it all wires into and also supposedly gives full bluetooth support...we shall see.

I am a newbie on here and this thread just grabbed me from start to finish, couldn't stop once I had started. Great car Andy, hope to see it someday.

Thanks man. Glad you like it all. :D

Andy, another newbie to drop across your thread and it makes for great reading and love what you have done to the car.

Sent from my iPad using FULLONMINIs.co.uk mobile app

Thank you. Means a lot.

I need to update as ive made a few changes in the last year since i posted.

Thank you. Means a lot.

I need to update as ive made a few changes in the last year since i posted.

Looking forward to updates :good:

really need to update this thread. :)

Come on Andy ... [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using FULLONMINIs.co.uk mobile app

Come on Andy ... [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using FULLONMINIs.co.uk mobile app

Yeh Andy.......... :lol:

I might get around to updating this sometime this year 😂

10 minutes ago, Andy said:

I might get around to updating this sometime this year 😂

You haven’t even posted about your custom wheels yet ! ! 😳

11 hours ago, Kettlepot said:

I know.  thats how busy i have been in the last couple of years.  Simple just not had the time.  Forums have really taken a back seat.

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 22:08, Kettlepot said:

oooh this sounds interesting custom wheels?

1 hour ago, b34st said:

oooh this sounds interesting custom wheels?

Youve had them a while now hey @Andy

3 hours ago, Mr Watton said:

Youve had them a while now hey @Andy

i need to see now lol

Well, let’s see how this goes.  It’s been a while since I’ve actually had 5mins to sit and write this so here goes...I’m on my iPad so will add pictures later when I’m on the computer  

i never got got around to getting dab module in or the retro fit heads up display that I was looking at about 3 years ago.  Not sure if that’s actually posted in the thread or not as I havent re-was through it all. At the time I was about to go to the dealers to buy it, they ordered everything in specially for me, the hud was the only one in the uk at the time, and my then landlord decided she didn’t want us in the house anymore so house hunting was a priority and over the next 9months we saved like mad and bought our first house.  

[Inset house pictue here]

Just before the landlord dropped the bomb I had been in contact with a wheel supplier/designer called 6Sixty Design, aiming for the upper end of the market in wheels and custom wheels.  I saw a design on a set of wheels and and enquired. I did this for a number of reasons, one Xxrs we’re becoming as common as flies on a turd and I wanted something a little more unique on the car that few to no one have got.  That’s also to me the whole point of having a Mini, to be individual and unique.

so things got a little progressed and after taking a number of measurements of the wheel hubs, brakes, callipers, space available etc to make sure a design and offset etc could fit a deposit was placed to start the ball rolling and to get them built...yes built.

so a few months later (not moved house yet) these absolutely amazing pieces of art turned up at the door. Delivered personally by Tarun who runs 6Sixty Design. Amazing guy and if you are not happy with anything he will do absolutely anything to resolve any issues.  

[insert wheels of art here]

totally over the moon with these and the way Tarun has dealt with everything that I had asked for.  

These are the ONLY SET to be built  3 piece split alloys, 18x8 for the front and 18x9  for the rear to get that extra concave look and et25 all round.  

‘I feel I should bigg them up a bit more but I really don’t have the words to hand to so.  I think a pictue speaks a thousand words so I think these will do them justice...

I ended up selling the xxrs to to a certain yellow clubman and after a few months or so i then bought a set of jr11 wheels for daily use as I couldn’t bare the thought of running the 6Sixty wheels everyday on UK roads. 

[insert jr11 wheels here]

after this I’m sure a number of things have occurred but it’s hard to keep track of everything with everything going in life.

At some point last year I also bought a Jcw turbo, this turned up and a few days later me and Nick got the car into my c=garage and stripped the S turbo out and the jcw went in. 

‘I’m sure I have a few pictures of this too so [insert jcw turbo pictures here]

the car definitely has added horses with the bigger turbo.  I then got onto Evolve for an update on the remap as they had a jcw turbo on their S and made 300bhp...so I got a new map from them and put it on the car, went for a drive and. Few issues so went back to them.  Had a few back and forth S with map files and the car wasn’t too happy with some of them so a compromise was made on power to get the best out the car.  All of this was done remotely using their R cable, and the tuner guy i was dealing with suggested the car had issues/wasn’t healthily and needed looking at fully.  I went over the car as best I could, oil change, spark plugs, checked for boost leaks etc and couldn’t find anything that would be an issue so as the car was running fine with the map and new turbo I carried on with life...

...this pretty much brings us up to a few weeks ago...when me and Andrea took the dog up to Bolem? Lake...on the way back coming past the airport I put my foot down and the car misfired pretty badly, and a lot of smoke came out the back.  Had a typical Audi wanker behind me and they backed off pretty quickly so I bet for him it was like driving through a cloud...I lifted off and drove sensibly.  Car was fine all the way back home 20miles or so and drove the car through the week and it was fine.  The next weekend we went shopping and on the way back home and the top of the rocker cover where the mini badge is decided it didn’t want to be part of the car. The was a miss fire just before and then loads of smoke, pulled over and oil all over the engine bay.

Clean it up and got back in. Tried to drive but loads of smoke and not much power either. Got a mile down the road and had to stop and be recovered.  Changed the rocker cover and there is a load of smoke coming out the exhaust and still no power.

Done a compression test and cyl 3 is gone. All the others are lower than what they should be.  Showing about 100psi. So now I need some help and pistons 😂🙈

So a few calls were made and the car was collected and is now at Millsy’s Autos being stripped to ascertain exactly what is wrong, but whatever it is, it will be coming back bigger and stronger, that is for sure.

Nice update Andy, I’m sure there are one or two things missed out somewhere down the line lol. 

Ooh I remember you saying that one of the polished lips on the new wheels wasn’t quite right so they made you a new one, am I right ????

Cant seem to edit my posts so copied the previous post to add pictures: 

Well, let’s see how this goes.  It’s been a while since I’ve actually had 5 mins to sit and write this so here goes...I’m on my iPad so will add pictures later when I’m on the computer  

i never got got around to getting dab module in or the retro fit heads up display that I was looking at about 3 years ago.  Not sure if that’s actually posted in the thread or not as I haven't re-was through it all. At the time I was about to go to the dealers to buy it, they ordered everything in specially for me, the hud was the only one in the UK at the time, and my then landlord decided she didn’t want us in the house anymore so house hunting was a priority and over the next 9 months we saved like mad and bought our first house.  

45780682051_882dcc0eb3_b.jpg[/url]

Just before the landlord dropped the bomb I had been in contact with a wheel supplier/designer called 6Sixty Design, aiming for the upper end of the market in wheels and custom wheels.  I saw a design on a set of wheels and and inquired. I did this for a number of reasons, one Xxrs we’re becoming as common as flies on a turd and I wanted something a little more unique on the car that few to no one have got.  That’s also to me the whole point of having a Mini, to be individual and unique.

so things got a little progressed and after taking a number of measurements of the wheel hubs, brakes, calipers, space available etc to make sure a design and offset etc could fit a deposit was placed to start the ball rolling and to get them built...yes built.

so a few months later (not moved house yet) these absolutely amazing pieces of art turned up at the door. Delivered personally by Tarun who runs 6Sixty Design. Amazing guy and if you are not happy with anything he will do absolutely anything to resolve any issues.  

44867491895_3167e53052_b.jpg

44867491845_43dfe1ae52_b.jpg

44867491765_066efd7ebb_b.jpg

totally over the moon with these and the way Tarun has dealt with everything that I had asked for.  

These are the ONLY SET to be built  3 piece split alloys, 18x8 for the front and 18x9  for the rear to get that extra concave look and et25 all round.  

‘I feel I should bigg them up a bit more but I really don’t have the words to hand to so.  I think a pictue speaks a thousand words so I think these will do them justice...

I ended up selling the xxrs to to a certain yellow clubman and after a few months or so i then bought a set of jr11 wheels for daily use as I couldn’t bare the thought of running the 6Sixty wheels everyday on UK roads. 

[insert jr11 wheels here]

45780820041_e3f4de7607_b.jpg

31909425218_8529e8bf6c_b.jpg

after this I’m sure a number of things have occurred but it’s hard to keep track of everything with everything going in life.

At some point last year I also bought a Jcw turbo, this turned up and a few days later me and Nick got the car into my c=garage and stripped the S turbo out and the jcw went in. 

‘I’m sure I have a few pictures of this too so:

30840884817_29af309149_b.jpg

44867730255_f88e2812a9_b.jpg

the car definitely has added horses with the bigger turbo.  I then got onto Evolve for an update on the remap as they had a jcw turbo on their S and made 300bhp...so I got a new map from them and put it on the car, went for a drive and. Few issues so went back to them.  Had a few back and forth S with map files and the car wasn’t too happy with some of them so a compromise was made on power to get the best out the car.  All of this was done remotely using their R cable, and the tuner guy i was dealing with suggested the car had issues/wasn’t healthily and needed looking at fully.  I went over the car as best I could, oil change, spark plugs, checked for boost leaks etc and couldn’t find anything that would be an issue so as the car was running fine with the map and new turbo I carried on with life...

...this pretty much brings us up to a few weeks ago...when me and Andrea took the dog up to Bolem? Lake...on the way back coming past the airport I put my foot down and the car misfired pretty badly, and a lot of smoke came out the back.  Had a typical Audi wanker behind me and they backed off pretty quickly so I bet for him it was like driving through a cloud...I lifted off and drove sensibly.  Car was fine all the way back home 20miles or so and drove the car through the week and it was fine.  The next weekend we went shopping and on the way back home and the top of the rocker cover where the mini badge is decided it didn’t want to be part of the car. The was a miss fire just before and then loads of smoke, pulled over and oil all over the engine bay.

Clean it up and got back in. Tried to drive but loads of smoke and not much power either. Got a mile down the road and had to stop and be recovered.  Changed the rocker cover and there is a load of smoke coming out the exhaust and still no power.

Done a compression test and cyl 3 is gone. All the others are lower than what they should be.  Showing about 100psi. So now I need some help and pistons 😂🙈

45780819931_ed92a7902e_b.jpg

So a few calls were made and the car was collected and is now at Millsy’s Autos being stripped to ascertain exactly what is wrong, but whatever it is, it will be coming back bigger and stronger, that is for sure.

45780820681_6240dc2f90_b.jpg

More updates!  WHoooo!!!

So the engine has been pulled out, fully stripped down to find out what the actual issue was.  Turns out the car didnt like its pistons too much so decided to eat one.

44867731275_db61831bf2_b.jpg

45780819591_875bc5ff9f_b.jpg

45780820361_67781bac89_b.jpg

Tbh I had thought this would be the diagnosis since it had zero compression.  I had in someway prepared myself for the news and was deciding what to actually do with the car if this was the actual case.  Do i replace the parts with standard parts and it happen again in another 30k miles? Do I strip the car and part it off, or do I get it repaired properly and increase the strength of the engine and give the car the engine it deserves...one that isnt made of cheese and will die at any given moment...?  

After a conversation with Jase it was decided to rebuild the engine, fully forged and so the shopping list was made:

Cylinder head rebuild - stem seals and clean up

New vac pump

New oil pump

ARP bottom head bolts & studs & head-bolts

Forged rods and pistons

New water pump

New thermostat & water pipe

Oil feed pipe

Block sent off for closed decking

Crank, flywheel, rods and pistons balanced

All new gaskets.

I also had a new 4 paddle ceramic Helix Clutch & single mass flywheel sent down with the car to be fitted too.

31909128728_a44a1335a5_c.jpg

44867526285_365d014bcb_c.jpg

45055642484_efa029f0af_c.jpg

44867526305_ab53a70752_c.jpg

45780574601_09da4822c5_c.jpg

45055931184_67cf7e82d4_c.jpg

While all this was getting balanced, cleaned etc a few more conversations went on about setting the car up for future power upgrades :D which will always happen since we are building the base for that anyways.  The first decision that was made was to change the compression ratio from 10:5:1 to JCW 10:1 ratio.

The second decision was to add another upgrade for more power :D   and that was to swap out the cams for some schrick fast road cams.  Will be a totally different beast when this comes back.

44868382455_1db2e4b85f.jpg

Nothing else has been added...yet!  The car is now fully rebuilt and Jase is taking it through the process of running in and making sure there is no leaks or issues etc before I get it back.  Amazing service from him to make sure everything is as it should be.  

I have to admin even though I havent got the car back yet I am still looking at upgrades.  Bigger turbos, meth injection to name a few.  The modding bug just doesnt stop.