Bongo

Manky Franky DS R56 S (pic heavy)

good afternoon MINI fans

Here's one's automobile what was done purchased in 2010 to replace my poor knackered old R50 which was killed by a combination of old age and Hardknott Pass.

As he was when he was collected;

DSCF0795.jpg

He was never intended to stay standard very long and I had a bit of an idea what I wanted to do. First off came de-oranging light bulbs, closely followed by lowering on Eibach pro springs

lowandslow.jpg

When funds allowed the Crown spokes got sold on and were replaced by Challenge Spoke reps

P1050181.jpg

To keep these good there were also some very cheap but very useful 16" alloys bought for winter. They were fitted with winter tyres which turned out to be a really good decision

DSCF0842.jpg

Next came the aero kit

P1050208.jpg

I thought it might be a nice idea to attempt to paint these myself. Turns out that was actually a really bad decision as I couldn't get the finish right. It then ended up with a friend who is a bodyshop painter. And that turned out even worse when the paint he used reacted with the stuff I had on.

In the end though it ended up all well :)

IMAG0080.jpg

Except the side skirts which I still haven't managed to get hold of. I also want the JCW spoiler on it.

Looks OK, especially with its black winter wheels

6953149173_d11839ae38_b.jpg

not too shabby in its summer plumage either, this one was from this years Highland Tour

HT4_014.jpg

In addition to its external mods it also has a Forge strut brace

bling.jpg

An oil catch can, which is essential IMO for any R56 S. Here's what came out of mine after 2 months. Actually was a lot more but most of it ended up on the drive :oops:

IMAG0092.jpg

It also has the rigid air intake fitted and a Pipercross panel filter to help with airflow

Today's job was painting the calipers, luckily before it started to pour down. Got the fronts done, the backs are gonna have to wait

IMAG0105.jpg

Also used some C4 permanent trim restorer. Looks good, lets see if lasts the 2 years that it reckons!

IMAG0106.jpg

And although there are no pics (yet) it has internal JCW chequered mats. I think that's it for now.

Future plans, as well as the spoiler, are for coilovers and adjustable control arms, and maybe Rota alloys are the challenge spokes refurbed in black

great write up dude :D lovely car i love it with the kit on,silver calipers is a nice touch to 8-) where abouts in cumbria are you from? :)

Hi Lee

I'm not from Cumbria, we're living in Seaham at the moment. I'm Durham County through and through - born in Hartlepool, lived in Sunderland for most my life and now in Seaham 8-)

As it happens though Mrs Bongo is from Maryport

Ah I see! Cool just thought you might be local to me,with some of the pics and hard knott pass lol all not far from me :)

Looks smart Mr Bongo :D

Oil catch can always a good idea ;)

Does mr bongo and mrs bongo fight for the keys? Hehe

Mrs Bongo wants a Hampdon but can't afford it :blum3: Normally its me that drives on special occasions she might get a go (birthdays, Christmas, bar mitsvah's etc)

I originally put off putting the OCC on but I had this mis-fortune of mine coking up. Luckily I got quite a bit of the repair fee paid for by MINI but still cost me a lot of monies as the high pressure fuel pump went at the same time :evil: If anyone's goes I recommend trying to see what MINI will put towards it.

I haven't done Hardknott in this car yet. I did do Honister a couple of weeks ago when it was empty at around 8pm. Fair to say it was a lot of fun with no traffic and no co-pilot grabbing onto various cabin parts :D

IMAG0085a.jpg

Haha awesome funny you say that I did honister last weekend lol yet to do hard knott and rynos (sp) :D

Nice write up Alex.

hardknot pass in 2 weeks if your doing the lakes run. Ill be there as always since its an epic weekend around the lakes.

To be honest Andy I've never done the Lakes one as it always looks, well, H U G E!!! Is it actually any good? It'll be too late to do it this year I think but if you reckon its decent I might ask the boss about doing it in 2013 (ps She wears the trousers :blackeye: )

Thanks Tony too. I do want coilovers but they are on the long, long list of bits I want. To be honest they were on my 'must have' list but I've just never got round to getting them yet

Holy thread from the dead

Right, onto my second which is knackered, so now on a lookout for a third. Keeps catching on stuff with the car being low, and now doesn't fit properly due to Greg's old intercooler being underneath pushing it forward a little :lol:

Got my winter wheels back on now but doing a lot less milage due to the awesome Clio.

Hoping to get a few things done in 2013. RCA's and a remap are on the menu, as wheel as a wheel refurb for the summers. Let's see if I can manage anything this year...

And miles is 116k and counting now :dance2:

So changed my coils and plugs tonight

As they say pictures paint 1000 words and all that

ryhydaby.jpg

uganutu8.jpg

sa9ahyne.jpg

This car has been serviced by MINI it's entire life. If you look at the plugs you can see 2 of them have started to disintegrate. Not sure how that hasn't caused some severe problems! Can only assume they either weren't changed when they were supposed to have been or the service interval for them is waaaaay too long.

The coils are a disgrace. At least the new ones look a lot better designed with the rubber shielding rather than bare metal.

Having changed these I'm hoping it remedies a little stutter it's developed under full throttle. If not then it might be time to start saving for another decoke

Mega happy still with the new paint on it. Need to take some proper pictures sometime

Oh my...they've seen better days! My stutter seems to have gone since doing plugs (touch wood) so I hope yours is ok now too. What plugs did you have fitted, before and after? Mine were R and I changed to iR NGKs....

admin said:
Oh my...they've seen better days! My stutter seems to have gone since doing plugs (touch wood) so I hope yours is ok now too. What plugs did you have fitted, before and after? Mine were R and I changed to iR NGKs....

NGK's too. PLZKBR7A-G's to be exact. I'm fairly certain that's what came out, but the truth is I didn't check them :oops: Just the condition they were in. It will have been whatever MINI put in

The coilpack was 2nd hand, but came out of a Cooper which means they weren't exposed to the elements that could get through the bonnet vent.

Hoping these solve it.

Was your stutter under load? Having read up it might have been a bit of pre-det due to the state of the plug

Yep, under load, weirdly was always the same stretch of road by Donnas that it used to do it on way home from work, stutter, smoke from rear, then wouldn't clear unless I came off power then back on again. Been ok since new ones.

ILZKBR7A-8G are what I've just fitted, but read that what's best with the works map, meh, I've no idea lol

I can't rem what we did when I was at MINI for you tbh, does the service book say anything?

I think it only went to Cooper Durham for an oil service iirc, plus a few fixes.

Checked the service book and last plug change was 33k ago by Cooper Sunderland. Seemed heavy wear for 33k :|

Problem solved. Pulled like a train to 5500rpm whereas before it was getting to 3.5-4 and was stuttering. Didn't realise it had got so bad tbh.

todays vajazzling

stripped off the old rain gutters and replaced with 2 new ones. The old ones had failed and were starting to disintegrate. I've never actually seen this happen to anyone elses, just mine. So off they came. Really easy job. Well it would've been simple if I hadn't had to drill one of the screws out. I think I can thank National Windscreens for rounding the head off one of the securing screws.

Also took out my pipercross panel filter and put an ITG one in. Don't expect any difference but the pipercross one had gone a bit saggy.

Still have a list of things I want to do as long as my arm though :P

Bongo said:
todays vajazzling

stripped off the old rain gutters and replaced with 2 new ones. The old ones had failed and were starting to disintegrate. I've never actually seen this happen to anyone elses, just mine. So off they came. Really easy job. Well it would've been simple if I hadn't had to drill one of the screws out. I think I can thank National Windscreens for rounding the head off one of the securing screws.

How much were the gutter rails Alec, as i need left and right for the rears of mines are bubbled to hell :(

"vajazzling" :blush2:

admin said:
\ said:
todays vajazzling

stripped off the old rain gutters and replaced with 2 new ones. The old ones had failed and were starting to disintegrate. I've never actually seen this happen to anyone elses' date=' just mine. So off they came. Really easy job. Well it would've been simple if I hadn't had to drill one of the screws out. I think I can thank National Windscreens for rounding the head off one of the securing screws.

[/quote']

How much were the gutter rails Alec, as i need left and right for the rears of mines are bubbled to hell :(

"vajazzling" :blush2:

Haha, they were £107 for the pair. It was just one of those things I was just sick of seeing though so they had to go. The new ones don't appear to have the same joint that failed on mine. Kinda wish I'd checked to see if they might have been covered under warranty

not much to report

Bought a new SZL and fitted some MFSW buttons. Took it to Lloyd Newcastle who reckons it can't be fitted (which is the opposite of everything the internet says). They claim they tried to but the radio and SZL (stalk set) wouldn't communicate. Not done yet, there may be another way.

Got rid of the catch can. I'm sure that moisture was going the wrong way and back into the engine. When I changed plugs a few months ago they were coated with the exact same residue that came out the catch can. Heavily emulsified, which I wouldn't expect if water was getting into the plus via a leaking gasket. The only other place I'm losing water is the water pump which is getting replaced next week.

Also changed the brake set up. Gone are the Yellowstuff and EBC front discs. New in are standard discs and Mintex 1144's. The improvement is unbelievable. Much more positive initial bite. Had 1144's fitted to just about every car I've had and they've never let me down. Won't be bothering with EBC pads again

Aye EBCs are awful, can't wait to get shot of the Yellowstuffs on mine either.

greeig said:
Aye EBCs are awful, can't wait to get shot of the Yellowstuffs on mine either.

I wasn't impressed when they first went on so I was happy to chuck them first. Was toying with carobtech/nitrac combo. I had it before on my R50 and it was decent, but if you step up from the bobcat then your brakes sound like a council bus stopping and I couldn't be chewed on with that :crazy:

Was gonna do some work on the car this weekend but 'issues' with the car might have shelved that. At least it looks good while its in engine check mode though

BEFD61B4-21E6-4F12-AC06-39425956074C_zpshqbx9mr7.jpg